Take advantage of any mild days to prepare for the busy months to come.
The shortest day has passed, and whatever nastiness of weather we may look forward to in January and February, at least we notice that the days are getting longer. Minute by minute they lengthen out. It takes some weeks before we are aware of the change. It is imperceptible even as the growth of a child, as you watch it day by day, until the moment comes when with a start of delighted surprise we realize that we can stay out of doors in a twilight lasting for another quarter of a precious hour.Vita Sackville-West
- Sow hardy vegetables under cover e.g. beetroot, broad beans, spinach.
- Sow tomatoes and peppers under cover.
- Decide which varieties of potatoes to grow.
- Prepare ground for growing vegetables. Add compost.
- Sow early radishes and lettuces in a cold frame.
- Cut back autumn-fruiting raspberry canes to ground level and mulch.
- Make a nots of where more spring bulbs are needed for next year.