Here’s what needs to be happening in the garden during December.
God gave us memories so that we might have roses in December.J.M.Barrie
You should be able to harvest some vegetables, but there’s little to plant or sow. If there is some decent weather, this is the time to protect plants from the cold to come and to tidy up. Indoors, read gardening catalogues and seed lists and make plans for next year.
- There’s still time to plant tulip bulbs.
- Mulch borders with well-rotted manure or compost.
- Prune apple trees and established blackcurrant bushes.
- Clean and oil tools.
- Check stored apples and throw out any with signs of rot.
- Raise pots off the ground to prevent water logging.
- Continue collecting fallen leaves.
- Sort out leftover seed packets. Throw out any which are out of date and damaged.